Custom Sized Stretchers
Strechers bars or frames custom made to any size.
Choose from 8 stretcher profiles.
We carry 8 unique stretcher profiles that have been developed to meet a wide range of needs. Small or large, we can provide you with the right stretcher design to support your art work. Click on any of the images below for information on the dimensions and uses of the specific stretcher profile.
Design Features of our Custom Stretchers
- made of straight-grained, kiln dried, clear white pine for exceptional strength and stability
- finger-jointed clear pine used for long bars and braces to maintain straightness of frame
- precision tongue & groove joints ensure a perfect friction fit and rigid, square corners
- cross braces are mortised and tenoned for strength and a superb fit, with hidden keys
- keys are wide and made of hardwood with serrated edges to ensure grip in the grooves
You can count on us for delivering top quality stretchers & service!
We don't take the word "quality" lightly. When we created this business, we shifted our focus from mass produced economy-grade stretchers to professionally made custom stretchers. Our material and manufacturing standards are very high. We enjoy our work and take pleasure in providing friendly and competent service to our customers.
- all custom frames are assembled and checked in our shop by another staff before orders are shipped
- stretchers are shipped disassembled complete with instructions for assembly, hardware and keys
- stretcher bars and braces are wrapped in several layers of corrugate carton with extra padding to protect the ends
- we send our customers an email confirming the date of shipment for each order
- all packages are tracked daily in our office to ensure trouble free delivery
- most orders are shipped by courier (UPS, Purolator) or postal service
- very large orders are shipped on a pallet by LTL trucking
- we can normally ship a custom order within 3 to 5 days
- delivery of large custom orders may require 2 to 4 weeks
We offer a "RUSH" service for 1 or 2 day delivery of urgently needed stretchers. A fee of 25% is added to the order for this service.
We guarantee our stretchers will be straight & square, free of defects and will not warp or twist over time. If for any reason you find that our stretchers do not meet these high standards we will gladly correct any problems at no extra cost to you.
Information about our stretcher profiles
Our smallest and most economical profile, the basic bar is ideal for small canvas sizes ranging from 6" to 36" (15 cm to 90 cm).
A very popular profile used for small & medium canvas sizes ranging from 12" to 72" (30 cm to 180 cm) . This profile used along with our 1/2" x 3" braces provides very strong and stable support for canvases.
This thicker profile provides extra fall and more space between the canvas and stretcher frame. This feature is ideal for larger canvases and where more agressive painting techniques are used. The heavier 1-1/8" (2.9 cm) thickness of the Professional bar makes it a popular stretcher for use in Gallery Wrap (frameless) display of art. This profile is commonly used for canvases ranging in size from 10" to 84 " (25 cm to 210 cm).
Heavy Duty Basic Profile
This 1-5/8" thick bar is our most popular and economical stretcher profile used for Gallery Wrap (frameless) display of art. The laminated design produces a very reliable, straight and stable support frame for canvases. With braces, the HD Basic profile is suitable for canvases up to 72" (180 cm) in dimension.
Heavy Duty Standard Profile
This is our most commonly used large format stretcher profile. We recommend this strong and straight laminated profile for canvas sizes ranging from 72" to 120" (180 cm to 300 cm). Heavier 3/4" x 3" keyed braces are used with this profile to provide the necessary frame support. Stretchers over 96" (240 cm) are often made in one or two sections which are assembled with flush mounted bolts. This makes it possible to ship large frames by courier and also allows for the folding of paintings for easier transportation once stretched.
Heavy Duty Professional Profile
This 2-1/4" thick stretcher profile is often used for large paintings that are to be diplayed Gallery Wrap style. The thicker profile also provides extra "set-back" space between the canvas and stretcher components, a feature favoured by artists who like to press hard on the canvas when applying paint. The laminated profile and heavy duty bracing provide a very strong and stable framework to support canvases up to 150" (380 cm) in dimension.
Extra Thick "L-shaped'' Profile
This L-shaped stretcher design was developed for artists wanting extra thick frames. We custom make these stretchers in thicknesses ranging from 2" to 6" (5 cm to 15 cm). The "L" shape creates a lightweight yet strong and straight stretcher.
Extra Heavy Duty Standard Profile
For building stretchers over 120" (300 cm) in length, we use a 2-3/8" x 3" (6 cm x 7.6 cm) 3-ply laminated bar with 1" x 3" extra heavy duty braces to provide the necessary structural strength to support a well tensioned canvas. This extra heavy duty design is suitable for frames up to 20 feet (6 metres) in dimension.
Signup for our Newsletter: